What was the challenge or problem to solve?
The client requested the generation and reproduction of different aromas, or VOCs (volatile organic compounds) under certain conditions and concentrations. All this, to reproduce the conditions of a real scenario in a controlled way.
Control of concentrations was critical, as high precision and different temperature ranges were required. Additionally, volatiles must be generated in different types of atmospheres, such as eg. synthetic air, or inert conditions with nitrogen.
How was it addressed or what was the solution?
Control of concentration levels was obtained by preparing the permeation tubes and optimizing the concentrations of the solutions.
In addition to the concentration, other parameters such as temperature and gas flow rates were adjusted to ensure the target concentrations.
Once the study was completed, the client was provided with a custom protocol, as well as different calibration lines to adjust the final concentrations, and to be able to generate different gas atmospheres.
- Need to generate gas atmospheres in a controlled way
- Commercial alternatives (eg gas bottles) were not feasible due to their high cost, or limited gas availability
- Have an internal protocol to adjust and reproduce different gas atmospheres
- A Owlstone OVG-4 volatile generator was available
- Different optimizations and calibrations were made
- A custom protocol and different calibration lines were designed to achieve different gas atmospheres
Contact with us