What was the challenge or problem to solve?
The customer wanted to find out the feasibility of using laser welding to join polymers at a production stage.
Therefore, a proof of concept was proposed to determine the quality of laser welding of polymers in pairs of materials. By means of an overlap welded joint between a transparent polymer and a black polymer.
How was it addressed or what was the solution?
To select the appropriate laser, an initial characterisation of the materials was carried out using Vis-NIR spectroscopy.
Once the optical characteristics of the samples were known, a matrix with the theoretical working parameter combinations was defined and different welding tests were carried out to achieve an optimised joint.
- Determining the feasibility of welding for a production process
- Selection of suitable laser
- Obtaining welds and assessing the quality of the joint
- Optical material characterisation
- Optimisation of laser parameters
- Mechanical testing and microscopic weld inspection
Contact with us
receive a tailored professional response